Company’s Basic Information
SunGrid Solutions Inc. is one of the world’s leading Renewable Power and Battery Energy Storage Solutions provider. The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace recognizes SunGrid as a growing value-added partner globally.
The Civil Engineer will be responsible for designing, developing, and constructing a range of projects. They should be a critical thinker and have sound subject knowledge of mathematics and physics to identify and solve problems. They must possess a certain level of creativity in order to present innovative solutions and improvements to technical processes. The Civil Engineer will be able to effectively communicate ideas and make recommendations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply civil/structural engineering principles and project management skills to carry out project tasks from start to finish while collaborating with multidisciplinary team.
- Maintain project budgets, schedule requirements, and quality requirements.
- Learn and follow established company design procedures and industry standards for Power Delivery Projects (substation, BESS, transmission line) while actively contributing to the improvement of those procedures over time.
- Act as engineer of record for various civil/structural engineering projects, apply knowledge of codes and standards to deliverables where applicable
- Understand and apply any local regulations or permit requirements to deliverable planning, and support compliance as needed
- Review or appropriately delegate the review of project-related design documents, such as fabrication shop drawings, or material specifications, for accuracy and completeness
- Assist with preparation of project proposals, provide time estimates, participate in risk reviews.
- Perform value engineering design analyses to determine most cost-effective design.
- Support construction teams, participate in site visits during estimating and construction
- Generate quality assurance inspection plans, review with project team, review/approve results at go/no-go decision points in schedule
- Resolve construction issues as they arise, including but not limited to the following categories, unexpected ground conditions, elevations, structural steel, reinforced concrete, grading, drainage, vaults, screw piles
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering, Master Degree considered an asset
- 5+ years of civil/structural engineering design and/or project management experience, other experience levels will be considered for otherwise highly qualified candidates
- Experience in the Utility industry and/or power delivery a plus
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Ontario or ability to obtain license as well as a desire to obtain licensure in United States.
- Must be authorized for full-time work in Canada, and the United States if needed
- Candidate must be familiar with Canadian structural engineering codes, knowledge of the structural codes in the United States considered an asset
- Ability to interpret and apply design codes including, but not limited to CSA, ASCE 113, NESC and IEEE
- Knowledge of reinforced concrete design, pre and post installed anchorage, pile foundations and structural steel design
- Ability to interpret and translate information from geotechnical report to site plan and foundation design requirements
- Experience with grading plans, erosion and sediment control plans, and access road design is a plus.
- Candidates must have good verbal and written communication skills and the ability to lead or be part of a project team as well as communicate with clients directly
- Candidate must be able to independently execute project work and be able to work on multiple projects at the same time in a fast-paced environment.
- Candidate must be able to coordinate with other disciplines to ensure quality deliverables
- Candidate must be highly organized to manage detailed project information and prioritize tasks.
- Experience with applicable software packages including STAAD.Pro, LPILE, MFAD, MathCad, Bluebeam, AutoCAD Civil 3D, and/or PLS-CADD, is highly beneficial