SunGrid is currently seeking a Manager of Contracts to support our team with maintaining Battery Energy Storage installations across the US & Canada. The position will be based Cambridge, Ontario, Canada and report to the VP of Solutoins.
As a Manager, Contracts you will be accountable for leading the development of high-quality contracts. This includes ensuring corporate standards and guidelines are adhered to.
You will contribute to our team by:
- Being Responsible for supporting of commercial and contract related aspects of assigned projects.
- Preparing responses for RFI/RFQ/RFP (as appropriate) and contract documents for major Energy Storage projects.
- Commercial administration including management of purchase orders, change orders, claims and contract amendments.
- Coordinating and facilitating negotiation activities on strategic agreements such integration, long term service agreements and engineer, procure and construct (EPC) agreements.
- Coordinating and/or leading negotiations with customers on behalf of business units for all key aspects of contracts including, but not limited to, pricing, delivery schedules, warranties, performance guarantees, liquidated damages for non-performance, and general terms and conditions.
- Identifying and recommending the contract form to be used for assigned projects based on evaluation of related agreement structures and assessment of the risk to SunGrid.
- Accountable for the development of agreements that meet internal standards and are acceptable to external counterparties while minimally deviating from SunGrid standards.
- Resolving contractual issues that arise which includes researching potential solutions and negotiating with internal /external partners/customers.
- Ensuring the accurate implementation of cross-functional contractual requirements such as legal, Health Services and Environment (HSE), insurance, credit, tax and finance.
- Ensuring the delivery of optimal results project performance goals and metrics. This includes analysing and identification of potential issues and opportunities to provide proactive recommendations and to continuously improve standard contract documents.
- Developing contracts that are complete, structured for easy contract administration and claim avoidance, where risks are appropriately distributed.
- Accountable for final review, approval and/or recommendation of changes to our standard terms and conditions.
- Handles involvement and input of key collaborators for each project in a way that supports the project and grow the relationship.
- Leading major project contract documentation to ensure records are well maintained in the event of contract challenges or litigation.
- Ensuring that all HSE requirements and standards are fully implemented as appropriate for the respective project.
- Using a continuous improvement model, ensuring that contract documents are updated to address any shortcomings or weaknesses that become apparent.
- Building and maintaining relationships with key support areas (e.g. legal, insurance, credit, HSE) to ensures efficient and effective solutions during contracting.
What you will bring to the role
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Law, business, or related field.
- MBA, PMP designation an asset
- 5+ years commercial management experience working with commercial contracts preferably supporting construction, EPC or energy organizations.
- Strong understanding of contract principles, structure, and language.
- Understanding of electric power and energy storage industry contracting standard practices.
- Working knowledge of engineering principles related to civil, mechanical, electrical, controls and IT systems.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills to execute time sensitive deliverables.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint), Skype, and PDF editing tools.
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and written and to present information clearly and effectively.
SunGrid Solutions is one of the world’s leading Battery Energy Storage & Renewable Power Solutions provider. SunGrid uses its strong execution-focused team to deliver excellent partnerships across the North American Energy Storage sector.
The company is focused on the BESS industry and brings its engineering-first delivery strategy to Turnkey and Balance of Plant EPC, and Integrated BESS enclosure systems, including its PowerPlay and SimpleOS platform. Having in-house engineering capabilities throughout North America allows SunGrid to take on projects from 250kWh to 1GWh. By focusing on strong Engineering as part of EPC and turnkey project delivery, SunGrid is a projects first company.