SunGrid is looking for an experienced Director of Projects for our BESS (Battery Energy Storage Systems) Projects in North America. The Director of Projects will report to the VP of Project Execution and work hand in hand with the Director of Construction, Subcontractors, and other support staff. The position will have responsibility for a team of Project Managers, Project Controllers and Coordinators.
- Lead and direct project management team
- Provide training and coaching to team members on Project management tools, processes and best practices.
- Oversee portfolio of projects to ensure team is executing projects to achieve cost, quality and delivery targets.
- Lead team through all day-to-day project management activities on BESS projects located across the United States & Canada
- Engage with subcontractor and various other project stakeholders as SunGrid’s primary contact person
- Develop, maintain, and ensure consistent best practices for safety, quality, and subcontractor management
- Provide steady and reliable communication
- Facilitate clear communication of project requirements and expectations to ensure all project needs and internal administrative requirements are met
- Continually analyze various execution strategies and methods for value and efficiency
- Ensure adherence to all HSEQ requirements and plans
- Proactively prepare and communicate accurate project status summary or detailed reports to the management team, staff, and/or customers
- Review project requirements during the bid/proposal process and provide scope, budget, and schedule details as needed. Obtain or assist in obtaining all necessary permits.
- Provide hands-on leadership and support the delivery strategy for future projects
- Create and foster continuous improvement between internal teams and utilizing tools and following company processes as directed
- Operate in a professional, responsible, and collaborative manner with all project stakeholders
- Actively work with and advise management of staffing needs for the project
- Ensure adequate resources are available to meet project commitments
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated track record managing and leading a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to telescope in and out of project and team issues to not get bogged down in details.
- Demonstrated track record of success in renewable energy or related field
- Strong attention to detail with a high level of integrity and organizational capacity to manage multiple projects
- A proven ability to provide efficient, timely, and reliable service to internal and external stakeholders
- Self-motivated with proven ability to take ownership, initiative, and accountability
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to manage competing priorities often across functional and operational lines
- Ability to contribute to an amicable working environment with other associates and employees
- Position may require travel, 25% of working time, depending on the time of year
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Construction Management or other related field is highly desired but not required
- Minimum 10 years directly related experience; technical emphasis on civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical principles and disciplines desired. Can be a combination of trade, education, and relevant work experience
- BESS engineering or construction experience preferred but not required
- Advanced knowledge of safety and relevant OSHA requirements and regulations
- Must demonstrate a high degree of time management and organizational skills resulting in the ability to prioritize/manage multiple projects at various stages of delivery
- Must possess strong quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills
- Must have the ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure and stress while maintaining a calm, professional demeanor
- Wants to win and manage effectively on both the strategic and tactical issues — and ready to switch between the two
- Excellent PC computer skills and familiarity with MS Office and Windows
- Must have a “roll up your sleeves and let’s get the job done right” type attitude
SunGrid Solutions is one of the world’s leading Battery Energy Storage & Renewable Power Solutions provider. SunGrid uses its strong execution-focused team to deliver excellent partnerships across the North American Energy Storage sector.
The company is focused on the BESS industry and brings its engineering-first delivery strategy to Turnkey and Balance of Plant EPC, and Integrated BESS enclosure systems, including its PowerPlay and SimpleOS platform. Having in-house engineering capabilities throughout North America allows SunGrid to take on projects from 250kWh to 1GWh. By focusing on strong Engineering as part of EPC and turnkey project delivery, SunGrid is a projects first company.