The Senior Manager, Construction Services is responsible for supporting all facets of the Canadian Construction team and will report to the Senior Director, Construction Services. The Senior Manager is accountable for ensuring the safe and high-quality execution of multidisciplined Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) projects throughout Canada and the northeast United States. This is a multidisciplined role that will work closely with the Electrical Manager, Construction Services to work efficiently and proactively towards successfully executed BESS mandates. It’s also critical for the Senior Manager to foster and facilitate a culture of respect, safety and collaboration amongst the team and external partners.
- Supervise, support, and coordinate with Construction Supervisors and field staff.
- Work directly with the Electrical Manager, Construction Services to ensure divisional requirements and expectations are being met and exceeded.
- Lead the implementation of any project specific mobilization plans, construction plans, QA/QC, or commissioning plans, as required.
- Supervise the execution, and optimization of pre-construction activities.
- Verify constructability, resource allocations, and assess field status of projects and resolve issues as needed.
- Review construction progress reports provided by the Construction Supervisors.
- Support progress at sites before, during and after active construction for quality control and reporting.
- Interact daily with Construction Supervisors, subcontractors, and consultants to provide assistance and guidance as needed, in the coordination of deliverables such as scopes of work, capital need assessments, contract documents, schedule of values, submittals, contracts, applications, and permitting.
- Ensure safety program is being followed across all projects.
- Assist with change, risk, and quality management.
- Communicate with stakeholders as needed.
- Work closely with partners to develop work breakdown and duration estimates.
- Oversee the project timeline and progress of the pre-construction process through to closing and hand off to our field team.
- Assist with project engineering plan design review, evaluation and implementation.
- Facilitate defining a scope of work, construction goals, and stakeholder deliverables for each project.
- Achieve the project objectives and controlling construction phase risk by applying current performance pros and cons to upcoming projects to ensure the highest probability of accuracy in the scopes, quality in materials, schedules, and costs.
- Multi-document review and quality control related to guiding agency requirements.
- Attend and lead pre-construction meetings via conference calls and in-person meetings.
- Identify potential problems and corrective actions that need to be implemented on current and future work in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate records by monitoring all document changes and costs associated.
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing construction projects, with preference for experience delivering Distributed Energy Resources (DER), renewable energy technologies, or other power generation projects.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and own multiple construction related plans for internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively communicate expectations, goals and concerns to subcontractors and project management team members.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to review and understand multi-trade construction drawings and specifications, as well as construction best practices across and array of trades, including surveying, civil, structural, thermal and moisture protection, and electrical construction.
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, make decisions, prioritize, and meet assigned deadlines in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Strong work ethic, a high degree of detail orientation, and an extreme sense of urgency.
- Experience in the BESS preferred, but not required.
Work Environment/Physical Demand:
- Position requires periodic travel to project site(s).
- Travel up to 15%
- Generally, this position is performed at the office.