The Director of Construction is responsible for overseeing and supporting the Construction Managers and will report to the Vice President of Construction. The Director of Construction is accountable for ensuring the safe and high-quality execution of multiple projects at one time. Being proactive to prevent potential problems and working toward the mitigation of any issues impacting construction of the solar plant. As well as facilitate a culture of respect, safety and collaboration amongst the team and external partners.
- Supervise, support, and coordinate with Construction Managers
- Supervise the execution, and optimization of pre-construction
- Verify constructability, resource allocations, and assess field status of projects and resolve issues as needed.
- Review construction progress reports provided by the Construction Manager
- Support progress at sites before, during and after active construction for quality control and reporting.
- Interact daily with Construction Managers, SunGrid frontline supervision, subcontractors, and consultants to provide assistance and guidance as needed, in the coordination of deliverables such as scopes of work, capital need assessments, contract documents, schedule of values, submittals, contracts, applications, and permitting
- Ensure safety program is being followed across all projects.
- Assist with change, risk, and quality management.
- Communicate with stakeholders as needed.
- Work closely with partners to develop work breakdown and duration estimates
- Oversee the project timeline and progress of the pre-construction process through to closing and hand off to our field team.
- Oversee all aspects of the project schedule as it relates to permitting, material delivery, and the construction process.
- Assist with project engineering plan design review, evaluation and implementation.
- Facilitate defining a scope of work, construction goals, and stakeholder deliverables for each project.
- Achieve the project objectives and controlling construction phase risk by applying current performance pros and cons to upcoming projects to ensure the highest probability of accuracy in the scopes, quality in materials, schedules, and costs.
- Multi-document review and quality control related to guiding agency requirements.
- Attend and lead pre-construction meetings via conference calls and in-person meetings.
- Identify potential problems and corrective actions that need to be implemented on current and future work in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate records by monitoring all document changes and costs associated.
- At least 5 years of experience in commercial construction or managing projects.
- Ability to effectively communicate expectations, goals and concerns to subcontractors and project management team members.
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to review and understand multi-trade construction drawings and specifications, as well as construction best practices across and array of trades, including surveying, civil, structural, thermal and moisture protection, and electrical construction.
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, make decisions, prioritize, and meet assigned deadlines in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Strong work ethic, a high degree of detail orientation, and an extreme sense of urgency.
- Experience in the BESS preferred, but not required.
Work Environment/Physical Demand
- May require lifting/carrying items up to 50 pounds.
- Travel up to 100%.
- Position requires travel to project site(s).
SunGrid Solutions is one of the world’s leading Battery Energy Storage & Renewable Power Solutions provider. SunGrid uses its strong execution-focused team to deliver excellent partnerships across the North American Energy Storage sector.
The company is focused on the BESS industry and brings its engineering-first delivery strategy to Turnkey and Balance of Plant EPC, and Integrated BESS enclosure systems, including its PowerPlay and SimpleOS platform. Having in-house engineering capabilities throughout North America allows SunGrid to take on projects from 250kWh to 1GWh. By focusing on strong Engineering as part of EPC and turnkey project delivery, SunGrid is a projects first company.